Texan accused of disabling 100 cars over Internet – 4 Year Old Article!
Texan accused of disabling 100 cars over Internet
Ok, I know this was posted in 2010, which is disturbing to know this kind of technology exists in the hands of potential idiots. According to this article, a sales man in Texas had the ability to shut down any car bought from his dealership that had the GPS device in it. This device was used to disable cars so people behind on their car payment could not drive their cars. It would also set off the car’s horn, so the repo-man could locate the vehicle if it was hidden.
(AP) — A man fired from a Texas auto dealership used an Internet service to remotely disable ignitions and set off car horns of more than 100 vehicles sold at his old workplace, police said Wednesday.
Austin police arrested Omar Ramos-Lopez, 20, on Wednesday, charging him with felony breach of computer security.
Ramos-Lopez used a former colleague’s password to deactivate starters and set off car horns, police said. Several car owners said they had to call tow trucks and were left stranded at work or home.
“He caused these customers, now victims, to miss work,” Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said. “They didn’t get paid. They had to get tow trucks. They didn’t know what was going on with their vehicles.”
Ramos-Lopez was in the Travis County Jail on Wednesday with bond set at $3,000. The Associated Press could not find a working phone number for his family.
The Texas Auto Center dealership in Austin installs GPS devices that can prevent cars from starting. The system is used to repossess cars when buyers are overdue on payments, said Jeremy Norton, a controller at the dealership where Ramos-Lopez worked. Car horns can be activated when repo agents go to collect vehicles and believe the owners are hiding them.”
STOP REDFLEX POSTS
- Windows 10 is deleting pirated games and software – Video Proof September 27, 2015
- Newly Obtained Records Reveal Extensive Monitoring of E-ZPass Tags Throughout New York September 7, 2015
- Windows 10 devices sending encrypted telemetry to Redmond every time they open or close any locally-stored image file August 31, 2015
- Another Massive Privacy Issue on Facebook : Facebook canceled a student’s internship after he highlighted a August 17, 2015
- Thought Crime? “FACEBOOK MONITORS YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES AND PHOTOS FOR CRIMINAL ACTIVITY, REPORTS THEM TO POLICE” August 10, 2015
|novusauto on Speeding Ticket Camera Company…|
|stopredflex on Red light cameras PROVEN dange…|
|william cunningham on Red light cameras PROVEN dange…|
|Jashan on Boycott the Iphone 5s! Iphone…|
|Mark Crawford on I didn’t join the marine…|